1. Tecnai G2 Transmission Electron Microscope
The Tecnai instruments are the first TEM to have complete digital control with all peripherals fully embedded. The new system incorporates state of the art electron optics, an advanced electron gun and a completely new control for the Compustage. Running under Windows NT® operating system, the system architecture combines robustness, security, flexibility and simplicity, resulting in a highly reliable instrument as equally suited to demanding scientific research as to high productivity industrial applications.
- Tungsten or LaB 6 emitter
- High voltage range 20-120kV or continuously variable
- Point resolution : 0.34nm
- Line resolution : 0.2nm
- Cs objective : 2mm
- Cc objective : 2mm
- Focal length : 2.7mm
- Minimum focus step : 3nm
- Magnification : 40x – 660kx
2. XL30 ESEM Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope
The XL30 ESEM is a high performance, variable pressure, scanning electron microscope with a resolution of 5nm at 30kv. It can be use to examine uncoated, non-conductive specimens, and with a Peltier stage, can be used with wet specimen. It will image the specimens in a variety of atmosphere, such as water vapour, air, argon, nitrogen and helium.
The microscope combines high vacuum, low vacuum and gaseous environment to support a variety of applications. The instrument allows for examination of non-conducting, contaminated, hydrated and even lining samples without significant sample preparation, in addition to those samples that have always been viewable under conventional scanning electron microscope. It allows for user selection of accelerating voltage, magnification, gas type, gas pressure and detector type. This flexibility promotes cross-disciplinary research for all who utilized the ESEM. The system includes the following capabilities :
- Resolution of 3.5nm in any environmental mode
- Magnification range of 7x to 100,000 times
- Accelerating voltage of up to 30kV
- Tungsten gun electron source with computer-optimized variable bias and filament distance
- Automated focusing and astigmatism correction
- Chamber pressure up to 20 torr
- Secondary electron detector capable of operating under any of the system environments
- Operator control of primary operating parameter with computer compensation for secondary parameters
- 4-axis motorized stage
- Access ports for installing analytical installments and sub stages
- Pentium PC for microscopic control and visualization
- The system also includes a Peltier cooling stage for moist samples and a heating stage with a maximum temperature of 1000°C
3. HIROX DIGITAL VIDEO MICROSCOPE
See clear bright images in colour on video monitor. The lighting system within lenses gives you a wealt of information as you can vary the lighting angle to fully distinguish surface features.
4. LYNX AUTOMATED TISSUE PROCESSOR
For automated tissue processing feature for added convenience , versatility, protection of specimen and cost saving.
5. BALTEC SPUTTER COATER
Available for gold-coating non-conducting samples. Gold-coating reduces the charging effects of the primary ion beam.
6. BALTEC CRITICAL POINT DRYER
Critical Point Dryer is so named as it is includes, as part of its process, the occurrence known as the continuity of stage for which there is no apparent difference between the liquid and gas state of a medium, the surface tension between this interface reducing to zero. This occur at a specific temperature and pressure with resulting density and it is known as the critical point. This condition of zero surface tension can be use to dry biological specimen without the damaging effect of surface tension .
SERVICES AND FACILITIES AVAILABLE
The EM Unit boasts the country’s most comprehensive array of specimen preparation and imaging and analysis equipment. While the unit prides itself on its state of the art instruments it supports a full range of conventional instruments for electron imaging.
As well as its own resources, the EM Unit draws upon the larger knowledge base from Institute for Medical Research (IMR) where its is based.
LIST OF SERVICES
- SEM Processing (sample processing until drying and coating)
- TEM Processing (until polymerization)
- TEM Processing (negative staining)
- Ultramicrotomy (ultrathin section)
- Image CCD
- Printout Digital Images
- Equipment Usage:
- Nikon Digital Microscope
- Video Hirox
APPLICATION FORM FOR ELECTRON MICROSCOPY SERVICES
Download the application form here.